Saturday, December 6, 2008

12.6.08

okay, I'm ready for Christmas now... Last night helped me get more in the holiday cheer. We went down to the Christmas tree lighting with some friends, went to the Downtown Eatery for some warmth and cheer...and then watched A Christmas Story back at our place. a great night with great friends.
it's crazy all the talk going on about gift giving this Christmas. And my biggest desire is that people would feel this way all year long. Stop spending ridiculous amounts of money going out for coffee with friends every day, instead, invite them into your home and brew a pot of coffee. Do the the math yourself. How much do you spend on coffee when you go out... versus a 1lb bag of coffee? I think I read somewhere once that a bag of coffee yields 45 8 oz. cups of coffee. hhmm,..... I'm not trying to make you feel like crap, just trying to make you think. And think of how much money you spent on that new Rob Bell book just because you had to have it now, and you couldn't wait to borrow it from someone or check it out form the library (I'm totally talking to myself here)........... it's just crazy how much we spend spend spend because we have to have it.......NOW. ugh. Its bittersweet for me whenever I get rolling on this because it seems like it's such a big thing to tackle and that it's never going to change...but I just have to remember the influence I can have on people just by living my life the way God has called me to. And living with the posture of worship every day----with all that it entails. So I agree with the Advent Conspiracy in what they're about..
[Worship Fully]
[Spend Less]
[Give More]
[Love All]
but can't we do this all year? isn't that we're about? i urge you to start praying more for this to become your lifestyle, not just a trend you latch onto for one month out of the year. . . .
okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
and don't get me wrong-if you're one of the ones that Advent Conspiracy made you feel like crap on how much we spend and that you're going to change your spending habits this Christmas...because that's awesome, but don't do it out of guilt-do it out of the love and honor that God has called us to live out here on earth. And don't do it just this month....
loves-a.

6 comments:

hannahrae said...

so true! seriously amy...keep speaking your heart.

we need to do this all the time, not just christmas time.

love you!

pedronegro said...

yeah but who really want to read the new rob bell book anyways?

amy coverdale said...

only a few people I know.. to be honest I had a real hard time getting into it and haven't even finished it. Guess that's what I get for not practicing what I preach....

Anonymous said...

Hummm . . .
I agree but with a huge BUT concerning meeting people for coffee. Starbucks sales are down 10% or something like that. They employ a lot of young people trying to work their way through school. Your brother in law is one of them. In this economy there are no easy answers.

Patty

amy coverdale said...

patty-
i know what you mean. my store is down quite a bit from last year. so much that we've all got our hours cut. grocery stores sales are down too, which employ college students, like myself, trying to work their way through school as well. trust me, i'm feeling the sting of the economy but I trust that God will remain faithful. He has provided for Jeremy and I beyond our imagination. my whole point in this blog is that we could be spending our money a lot smarter. and I think that means something different to each of us. for me it's small things like coffee or a pitcher of beer, lunch out.... they add up. and I'd rather spend less money on something like that so we'll be able to bless the people that God puts in our lives, just like we've been blessed.... just some of my thoughts:). . and I think there is an easy answer, don't put your trust or hope in the economy. that's not what we're called to do.
loves-a.

Anonymous said...

Amen Peter.

this is Juan.