Sunday, September 14, 2008

9.14.08 x 2

i think God has given me a heart for this city again. . . Jenna led that song... "there is no one like our God." you know the one that goes "Greater things have yet to come, greater things are still to be done in this city...."
last time we sang this song, i was bitter. Bitter? not sure if that's the word, but more discontent. Jeremy and I had talked so much about moving to Portland in the next couple years that my heart had already moved. it sucked. every day i was looking at craigslist (which is pretty normal for me....I'm addicted)...but in Portland. . .
then all of the sudden the other day I realized how happy Redding makes me right now. God is moving so much in my life, here. I just wasn't giving Him the chance to show it to me. Jeremy and I were down at the park by the river the other day, having a lovely picnic....we talked about being more committed here. . .even if that means liking the palm trees... (see previous post:)
it's so hard to not get caught up in the world of having a good paying job. because we all know that Redding is not the easiest place to get one of those.... but I know that's not the point in following God. He could care less about how much money we make or how much money we have in our savings account. He cares about what we give away. He cares about what we share.
a while back I think I shared this.... but I want to be remembered as faithful, not successful. . .

faithful
not
successful

this is what God's calling me to be. faithful. and in that being faithful... i want to give. i want to love. i want to stop being so selfish with my time. i want to commit myself to you----- my family.
i can't wait for Thursday when our life group starts.... i can't wait to have people into our home. to share what God has blessed us with. to break bread. to eat cupcakes. to kick back with my family. to lock arms with them.

"to be a part of the church was to join a countercultural society that was partnering with God to create a new kind of culture, right under the nose of the caesars. These Christians made sure everybody in their midst had enough to eat. They made sure everybody was able to pay their bills. They made sure there was enough to around. . . " -Rob Bell, Velvet Elvis

3 comments:

betsy said...

yeah, i'm definitely missing redding...p-land is equally difficult to get a job, too, since there's a crazy influx of 20-somethings coming here and just a lot of competition. so enjoy redding for what it is! but if you ever decide p-land is the place...well, i'll be your #1 cheerleader!

nathan said...

amy, I'm your biggest fan ... I love your blog ... I love your heart ... I love your husband ... if my group didn't meet on Thursday nights, I'd show up at yours for the food ...

seriously though, you have such a piercing and prophetic voice ... don't stop speaking out ... we need those kind of voices to call us back to God's heart ... thanks for being faithful ...

Lauren said...

thank you so much for your encouraging words. i am glad you found a state of contentment while in redding. if it makes you feel any better we were in the whole portland/redding love hate thing for almost a whole year!