Friday, September 19, 2008

9.19.08


so i told Hannah that we should trade mixes. seriously. i love making mixes. i remember countless hours of recording songs of the radio and putting them on a tape. yes. a real mix tape. having a big ole stack of cds and my little boombox and making some amazing playlists for my friends. it used to be my thing I did for the boys I had super crushes on. . . I know I've made Jeremy quite a few..
but these days, I make them for friends, for myself (lack of iPod makes it hard to shuffle between all the music you own...
anyway... the mixing of cds... I don't find as much pleasure in it.. for some reason tapes had more love put into them..anyone feel me on this?
Hannah isn't going know what hit her.
the mix has 4.4 hours of music....
61 songs.
mP3 disc I'm thinking..or maybe I'll a 1-2-3 box set...amy's originals. we'll see.
I always have some staples that are on ALL of my mixes...
1) Sigur Ros
2) Death Cab for Cutie
3) Bright Eyes
4) Radiohead
5) Foo Fighters
but lately these days.... it's been more
1) Sigur Ros (yea, this never changes...)
2) Cold War Kids
3) Spoon
4) Wilco
5) Band of Horses....

music is amazing. tells so many stories.... so many songs from my past bring such great memories to mind. remind me of mixes forgotten friends made. road trips with best friends. incredible shows. . .

Sigur Ros Take 2
location: Great American Music Hall---- San Francisco
this trip was with my dear friend Vanessa..
we were both living in Chico at the time.
i believe it was 2001..
the album.. ágætis byrjun
She drove a Dodge Neon
I drove a piece of crap Toyota Tercel
we took her car.
drove 99 down...
car made some funny noises..
we made it.
balcony seats.
we walk in...
The Album Leaf is playing...
they weren't on the bill.
incredible.
Jimmy Lavalle is a genius.
between sets, I turn around to check out the crowd.
some great friends from this band Remember August...
sitting right behind us.
weird how small of a world it is sometimes.
Vanessa and I didn't talk the whole show.
just sad in amazement.
once again.
spent some time with the boys.
went back to Leif's place in Berkley for a while.
got coffee at 2 a.m. at this amazing coffee shop
don't remember much of the drive home.
Sigur Ros kind of does that to you..
puts you in this daze....
almost like a drug.

how amazing is it that it's 1pm...and 70 degrees outside. i'm a happy girl today. this is MY weather. love it. the blues festival tomorrow will be incredible. great weather. great park. great music.... nice....

1 comment:

hannahrae said...

i just finished your mixes tonight! and let me just say...they're amazing. well...hopefully you will think so.

can't wait to swap!