Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Stirring, who's got Talent?

Sounds like the next reality game show doesn't it? A little catchy title a came up with. No this does not have to do with Erase the Dark (although everyone should go-Friday night at the Stirring-you don't want to miss this.)..... this has to do with a dream that God has blessed me with.

We are Family.

we.are.family.

I looked up family in the dictionary..not that I don't know what it means; but sometimes.... do we really understand these common everyday words. Anyway..check one of the definitions.....

"Two or more people who share goals and values, have long-term commitments to one another, and reside usually in the same dwelling place."

that's us Stirring. that's who we are. Family takes care of each other-have long-term commitments to one another.... and while we don't reside in the same dwelling.... we live in the same town-we drive on the same streets-we drink the same coffee-we breathe the same air. we share the same goals and values.

do we? Family takes care of each other. Family is committed. Family is there when needed. Here's my point.

God has blessed us as a community with SO much. Truly, we live in abundance people. God has given each of us a talent-which can look different for all of us.. This is great! There are so many needs in a community-and so many of us with the talent to meet those needs.

I want to start the first ever Stirring Help Wanted. yes. the SHW. ssssssssshhhhhhhhhwwwwwwhhhh. say it with me people. anyway, here's this passion God has placed on my little heart. I want to help meet the needs of people in our community-whether it be someone needing money for groceries one week, a need for a moving truck one week (thank you Chris), a need for a babysitter one night, a plumber at 4o'clock in the morning. But here's the thing community.... I can't do this by myself.

This is where family comes in. We are committed to each other. When one of our family members is in need-we are to be there to meet that need in whatever way possible. Here's the other thing community.... we must lay down our pride and ask for help when we need help.

We have to find the "middle way" as Mr. Aaron Hayes put it the other night. . . . .

so who's with me? Let me know what kind of talent God has blessed you with. I want to call you out on it. We need to start using our talents-increasing them-not just burying them in the ground and keeping them safe. Do you have a need? let me know-whatever it may be. we are family. let's start acting like it. so email me, grab me at the stirring, talk to me. let's really become a family.

4 comments:

Emily Branca said...

Amy, although I don't know you all that well, you make such a profound point. We ARE family, and we need each other. I'm in this with ya! Let our family grow, and begin to reach out to not only one another, but the community around us as well. God has blessed me with a HUGE heart for children. I love to babysit, and am always will (not always able b/c of school, work, etc.) but if anybody ever needs a sitter, I'm your gal. I'm really moved by your blog. This is huge!

idiot said...

I'm with you on this one.
It goes with what's on my heart as well. I'm sure we aren't the only ones!

idiot said...

One more thing. You guys still have that bed you don't need? If so, when is it available? If it's spoken for already let me know...

Erica said...

Amy I sent you an e-mail about Leah Caldwell. She could really use some help.